Veterans Affairs Benefits

General Information

Reid State Technical College offers services to veterans who attend college here.  Veterans are required to submit various forms to the office for file preparation. Veterans are certified for attendance at the regional veteran's affairs office once tuition and fees are paid.

RSTC has a Veteran's Affairs/Financial Aid Office located in the Student Services building.  The Veteran Certifying Official on each campus,

·        Processes veteran education benefit applications, changes, and terminations.

·        Verifies course enrollment.

·        Coordinates course of study with Academic Advisors.

·        Maintains student records.

Minimum attendance requirement for students enrolled in a NCD program is 80%.  Attendance will be monitored every 30 days.  If attendance falls below 80%, the student will be placed on attendance probation for one month. Exception:  There is no probation period allowed for programs less than 30 days in length. If the student has not returned to satisfactory attendance at the end of the one-month attendance probation period, VA education benefits will be terminated. Certification to VA for payment will not be resumed until satisfactory attendance is regained. Students whose absences result from authorized mitigating circumstances, as determined by the school Director/Owner, will not be counted against the student.  Appropriate documentation for mitigating circumstances will be kept in the file. 

Alabama State G.I. Dependents' Scholarship Program

Alabama State Disabled Veteran Dependent Scholarship Program also called the Alabama State G.I. Dependents’ Scholarship Program or Alabama GI Bill ®. A student may be eligible to receive the G.I. Dependents Scholarship if the student is a dependent of a disabled Alabama Veteran. A student must apply with the State of Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility. The State of Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs will issue a Certificate of Eligibility to the education institution requested at the time of application. If a student changes their program of study or institution of choice, they must complete a S-5 form and submit it to the Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs for a new certificate.

Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs
P. O. Box 1509
Montgomery, AL 36102-1509.
Phone: 334-242-5077

For additional information, please visit their website at  then click on Scholarship Programs. You may also contact the Veterans Service Office in your county.


Federal Department of Veteran's Affairs

The Federal Department of Veteran's Affairs determines eligibility and maintains veteran records in electronic format.

Contact Information:

Montgomery Regional Office: 1-800-827-1000
Muskogee Regional Office: 1-888-442-4551 - VA National Phone Center

VA's GI Bill Web Site:

US Department of Veterans Affairs Web Site:

Ebenefits Website offers a one stop shop for the veteran's needs:

Responsibilities of the RSTC Student Veteran

The RSTC student veteran must:

·        Report any change in enrollment status to the RSTC Veteran's Affairs Office.

·        Coordinate their course enrollment with their respective Academic Advisors.

Application Process

To apply for Chapter 30, 33, 35, 1606 or 1607 VA Benefits you should visit the ebenefits website.

Enrollment Certification will be completed by the VA Certifying Official as follows:

All Veteran's GI Bill® Benefits will be certified by term. It is the student's responsibility to contact the VA Certifying Official and request certification at the beginning of each term. If a student fails to contact the VA Certifying Official at the beginning of each term, this will delay the processing of the students monthly check by the VA. If the student changes their enrollment, the student should notify the VA Certifying Official immediately so their enrollment status can be amended with the VA. The VA Certifying Official will check the enrollment status of each student monthly and report changes accordingly.


Other Resources

Tuition Assistance Program - visit

As of October 1, 2011, all active duty Army, Army National Guard, and the Selective Reserve members must apply for their tuition assistance benefit through the GoArmyEd website.

America's Debt Help Organization helps veteran students become aware of what options are available for them through the federal government and what programs the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) has to help active duty service members and veterans. They also provide information and services to military personnel and their families. Below is a list of web pages that may be helpful to you.

‘‘GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at"

Disclaimer:  RSTC does not represent that the services by the above providers are any better of services provided by other providers for the same services.

Please contact Ms. Christy Goodwin at if you need additional assistance.